6 replies to this topic

#1 Pluto

Pluto

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

Zach Taylor Reynolds was born in to money, big money. His Grandfather was R J Reyonlds. If you donít know who that is perhaps you have heard of Winston, Salem, and Camel Cigarettes. How rich did R J Reynolds become? He bought a University, and moved it to his back yard. Thatís why Wake Forest University is not in the town of Wake Forest.

Zach was a target shooting champion that liked fast cars, fast planes and hot bikes. His tastes were not restricted to any brand; they just had to be red, black or red and black. He had a collection of 50 motorcycles in the 70ís. At the time, that was the largest collection of motorcycles in the world. The bike he kept in the foyer of his house was a Harley dragster that that kept him in the winning circle with great regularity. Thatís right, he raced the bike himself. Zach could and did work on any of his vehicles that he owned.

A man with the skills and privilege that he had might protect himself by not engaging people not of his social status. Not Zach. Zach would hang out with the Motorcycle Clubs, match kidney donors and recipients by way of Ham radio and take the neighborhood kids out to the Drive in theater. One often repeated story is of when at one of those Drive ins they saw a movie where someone was shot while in a car. The kids did not think that bullets would kill a man by going through the metal. So in the interest of science Zach pulled out his guns and started shooting the side of his favorite Pickup with progressively larger munitions. It wasnít until he got to the .45ís that the bullets started really going through. The kids loved it. By all accounts he was a man of the people for those who were genuine to him.

In 1971 Zach was flying to Florida to visit friends that he met on the Ham radio. An accomplished and talented pilot, he was by himself in the plane when he saw mysterious clouds circle his path. The instruments began reading impossible measurements. After a few hair raising moments he broke free of the cloud and made his way to Miami. He immediately went to the nearest performance car dealership and bought one of the few foreign cars and the only car that was not either red or black. He bought a light blue Jag. He preferred to drive home. Over the next few years he only flew a few more times as he sold off all of his planes. By 1973 he was not flying (private or commercial) at all. Then on September 4, 1979 Zach was persuaded to go up with one of the local kids who had just become a pilot. He couldnít say no. The plane was found crashed with no survivors. From the receipt on the Jaguar it can be determined that he died 8 years to the day after the strange occurrence over Florida.

Growing up in Winston-Salem you feel the Reynolds presence everywhere. I went to RJ Reynolds High School. Yet I didnít really know much about Zach Reynolds until recently. His skills, his intellect, his ability to relate with all people have impressed me greatly. Every once in a while one of his old bikes come up in Craigslist. They are all Gorgeous Bikes with a mind for speed. The last one I saw was a Norton Cafť Racer that was black and red, of course.

Iíd kinda like to think that Heíd like what we do here and would join right up if he could. I also hope that you donít mind my sharing some things about someone who inspires me.

Now for some pictures that I stole from some other sites
His Daughter is where I got most of this story from. This is here photography site.

Posted Image

Another site with some great info about Zach
Posted Image

Posted Image

"Successful engines are masses of details, each the result of a problem solved" Kevin Cameron

#2 dirtnap

dirtnap

Contributing Member

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,114 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:42 PM

That's all very interesting but my takeaway from the daughters website was that she's batshit crazy...just sayin'.

#3 Batman

Batman

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:27 AM

That's all very interesting but my takeaway from the daughters website was that she's batshit crazy...just sayin'.

:roflmao:
*********SPORTSTERS RULE!********
Blowing Away Big Twins since 1957

I'm not afraid of the monsters under my bed,
I'm afraid of the demons in my head.

#4 Pluto

Pluto

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:51 AM

Can't argue there. But it's the kind of crazy that you have when you are rich as shit and are pushing the boundary of "glamor." :HAHA: :HAHA:

"Successful engines are masses of details, each the result of a problem solved" Kevin Cameron

#5 Pluto

Pluto

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:35 AM

Giving this a bump for the anniversary.

#6 Pluto

Pluto

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

One of his bikes just came up on Craigslist.

1972 RICKMAN MONTESSA 250 - $5500 (WINSTON-SALEM,NC)

FOR SALE IS AN ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESS MUSEUM QUALITY, MINT, ORIGINAL CONDITION RICKMAN MONTESSA FROM THE COLLECTION OF THE LATE ZACH REYNOLDS, HEIR TO THE RJ REYNOLDS TOBACCO FORTUNE. THIS IS A CHANCE TO OWN A PIECE OF MOTORCYCLE HISTORY IN THAT ZACH REYNOLDS ONCE OWNED THE LARGEST PRIVATE COLLECTION OF MOTORCYCLES IN THE WORLD, AND WAS A RENOWNED DAREDEVIL WHOSE STUNTS AND EXPLOITS WERE KNOWN WORLDWIDE. SEE ISSUE #18 OF JESSEE JAMES "GARAGE MAGAZINE" OF WEST COAST CHOPPERS FAME UNDERSTAND AND YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THE SIGNIFIGANCE OF THIS MOTORCYCLE. DOCUMENTS INCLUDE THE ORIGINAL BILL OF SALE FROM LESTER KISER MOTORCYCLES WINSTON-SALEM, NC, THE ORIGINAL CERTIFICATE OF TITLE ISSUED BY BSA, ENGLAND, THE AUCTION BROCHURES PREPARED BY WALNECKS CYCLE TRADER, A COPY OF GARAGE MAGAZINE WITH THE ARTICLE COVERING ZACH REYNOLDS LIFE AS "THE CIGARETTE CITY FLASH", AND THE ORIGINAL RICKMAN MANUAL IN IMMACULATE CONDITION. GREAT VINTAGE RACE PIECE. CALL TONY 336-971-8715 IN US. NO E-MAIL ANSWERED WITHOUT PRIOR PHONE CALL !!

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 ShellyLlama

ShellyLlama

Grease Spot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

You have NO idea! I grew up with her and she was such a stuck-up bitch, who tried using her last name to be an "international model" and make-up artist. Ever since I could remember she's been riding her dad's coattails.

That self-portrait of her in Japan standing over a toilet? That doesn't make you an international model. She looks like she belongs on RuPaul's Drag Race. Harsh, yes - but true. You can't tell if she's 30 or 60.

Every time she's in a Triad Magazine, she's reaching out to them throwing out her ancestory to get some attention. It's rather sad. That house was sold long ago and the family doesn't have much money now.

She tried leaving W-S before, but no one cared about her ancestory so she returned. She's like a D-list celebrity stuck in Winston-Salem with a needle full of botox in one hand and her boyfriend (who tries to look like Vince Neill) on the other.

I feel bad she didn't have a father, but she was always a bitch to everyone she didn't feel was "of her status" and it's obvious she doesn't have a life of her own, just a bloodline to get an interview.