279 replies to this topic

#1 Bonehead9

Bonehead9

President, I.G.K.A.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,034 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

Good luck. :thumbup1:
Goats are evil and will kill you in your sleep.

#2 Neo Dutch

Neo Dutch

Contributing Member

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:50 AM

Have fun and good luck.

#3 weed

weed

Garage gremlin

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:36 AM

good luck.

#4 racegeek

racegeek

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

as always should be a good one to watch/good luck :buttrock:
16 TRILLION IN DEBT AND CLIMBING.

#5 Dusty_Dave

Dusty_Dave

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Here is my entry photos. When I dug the frame out and looked at the numbers it is a 1950. Dam that's a lot of parts.

Dusty

Attached File  0101121329.jpg   66.95KB   77 downloadsAttached File  Image0050.jpg   74.29KB   66 downloads
I lit out from Reno I was trailed by twenty hounds Didn't get to sleep that night Till the morning came around
I set out running but I take my time A friend of the Devil is a friend of mine

#6 Dusty_Dave

Dusty_Dave

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

It's going to be similar to a fairly popular hot rod of the 50s, a light weight vertical twin alloy frame with a Military surplus 741 Scout engine. I'm going to bore and stroke it from 30.5 CID to 42 CID and run either the same cams as last year or a set of Indian Bonneville. Since some genius previous owner has sawed the down tube off so I might as well rake it a little.
DustyAttached File  Image0049.jpg   53.51KB   48 downloads
I lit out from Reno I was trailed by twenty hounds Didn't get to sleep that night Till the morning came around

#7 kevins750

kevins750

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

NOT FAIR, a better bike already than I will have if I finish...

#8 Dr mac

Dr mac

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

So how long have you been gathering parts?

And I will enjoy watching this build .
Molon Labe

#9 Dusty_Dave

Dusty_Dave

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

So how long have you been gathering parts?

And I will enjoy watching this build .

I've been gathering Indian parts since 1963 but the stuff in this build over the last 10 or 12 years. Thanks

Dusty

#10 jeepurz

jeepurz

Lord of the Corn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,218 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

dude If I ever get out your way we gotta look under your workbench more often!

Posted Image

quote from a buddy that drives a truck. this nailed it.
'I feel like getting something done today, so I'm just going to sit here until that feeling passes...'

#11 Dusty_Dave

Dusty_Dave

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

dude If I ever get out your way we gotta look under your workbench more often!

Yeah theres a CB750K, a 850 T3 Guzzi, part of a 36 scout and a 64 Ducati under there for future years. And when I'm in a car mood a Desoto, a 65 chevy convert, a 50 Chevy PU and a few Jeeps. Enough projects to outlast me I think.
Dusty

#12 themotorcycleguy

themotorcycleguy

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

Your entry was for a '49 and now it seems you're building a '50. I think this may be our first disqualification due to a technicality. Now if I can just find a way to get rid of the rest I'll win by default! Then all the prize money will be mine.... all mine!!!!

I wish I could find some neat stuff around here. I love my Hondas but I wouldn't mind having a bit of your stuff in my garage. A lot of years ago I did own a 30's something Scout for almost a whole day. I bought it from the original owner, a guy in his 80's. The next day someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse [at the time I needed money more than another bike].

#13 Kt-88

Kt-88

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

Dave, I'm pretty excited to watch another build of yours. God knows last year's was beautiful and pretty educational.
Keith Baskett

#14 cliffno350

cliffno350

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:19 AM

I've seen under his bench, I think theres a corvette under there and lucky for me one less bottle of home made brandy! Good Luck Dusty looks good, I'm gonna try to make it up there again soon weather permitting, and you and wife are always welcome to stop by here.

Just ride it....
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#15 rustyhillbilly

rustyhillbilly

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

Cool... Anuther Injun!!!! Can't wait to see how she turns out!
Life's a trip,fellas,let's enjoy the ride.....

I ain't completely useless...I can always serve as a bad example...
Let's keep America beautiful...Chop a stocker!!!!

In the dungeon:
The Deathtrap...a collection of scrap parts
&

1979 Yamaha XS 750 Special,under construction....

"The number of kicks it takes to start your bike is directly proportional to the number of people who are watching you try..."

#16 Dusty_Dave

Dusty_Dave

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

I've seen under his bench, I think theres a corvette under there and lucky for me one less bottle of home made brandy! Good Luck Dusty looks good, I'm gonna try to make it up there again soon weather permitting, and you and wife are always welcome to stop by here.

Cliff,
I didn't mention things that run. To me the ones that are basket cases are more important. If Carol gets enough better to travel we will be by and I plan to make several events this year on El Indio.
Dusty

#17 kfbmech

kfbmech

Garage gremlin

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

Your entry was for a '49 and now it seems you're building a '50. I think this may be our first disqualification due to a technicality. Now if I can just find a way to get rid of the rest I'll win by default! Then all the prize money will be mine.... all mine!!!!

I wish I could find some neat stuff around here. I love my Hondas but I wouldn't mind having a bit of your stuff in my garage. A lot of years ago I did own a 30's something Scout for almost a whole day. I bought it from the original owner, a guy in his 80's. The next day someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse [at the time I needed money more than another bike].

:Crylol: hahaha +1 cmon dusty dave.. another indian? arent you sick of being so damn awesome.. good job on the horse spread btw. im sure this years will be equally as amazing.. on a little side note, my lat years entry "true grit" won the local "rat bike" award haha.. i think this year ill go for nice and clean.. glad to see your back in it!!

#18 Dusty_Dave

Dusty_Dave

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

:Crylol: hahaha +1 cmon dusty dave.. another indian? arent you sick of being so damn awesome.. good job on the horse spread btw. im sure this years will be equally as amazing.. on a little side note, my lat years entry "true grit" won the local "rat bike" award haha.. i think this year ill go for nice and clean.. glad to see your back in it!!

There's something to be said for a good rat bike. Every time I went to Laurence KS in the 80s there was a rat parked at the swap meet with a knuckle rear head and pan front, one drag pipe and one up swept fish tip, wide glide forks with springer wheel miss matched tank halves even had different style saddle bags. It always drew a crowd bigger than any of the customs. Probably more craftsmanship in getting all of that stuff to fit than most show bikes.

Since I called the last one Indian in Spanish I'm gonna call this one Spanish (or maybe Mexican used both ways) in Western Apache which is Nakaiyé pronuced nah-kye-yeh.

Dusty

#19 Dusty_Dave

Dusty_Dave

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

Started sorting parts and figuring what to buy and what to make. A few aw-shits like only having one rod of the correct style, gotta get on the phone and beg. Started making a trans counter shaft.

Attached File  Image0057.jpg   62.7KB   26 downloads

Still figuring which gears are best

Attached File  Image0059.jpg   82.48KB   22 downloads

Dusty

#20 Dusty_Dave

Dusty_Dave

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

Finished the counter shaft and made the cluster gear bushings and spacers.
Attached File  Image0065.jpg   70.42KB   25 downloads
Attached File  Image0066.jpg   36.03KB   22 downloads
Dusty

#21 Dusty_Dave

Dusty_Dave

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

Pressed the cluster gear bushings in and fitted to the counter shaft, made the thrust washers it needed. Then the sprocket driver gear bushing made me insane all afternoon. I made a bush according to the print and it pressed in halfway and it seized up solid so I turned it out and made another a thousandths and a half smaller and it went in just a red cunt hair farther. So I got out my snap gages and acted like a semi competent machinist and found that the bushing bore in that used and abused 70 year old gear tapered dam near three thousandths to three quarters of the way then jumped down to four thousandths. So I made a bush that approximated the bore shape lubricated it with some loctite and it pressed right in. Fitted it to the shaft and decided that it was beer thirty.
Dusty

Attached File  Image0067.jpg   41.57KB   16 downloads

Attached File  Image0068.jpg   82.26KB   26 downloads

Attached File  Image0069.jpg   59.88KB   24 downloads

#22 Crazy Cats

Crazy Cats

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

Nice work Dusty.

#23 Dusty_Dave

Dusty_Dave

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:13 AM

Got all of the trans internals finished except the main shaft thrust washers and making the clutch hub nut will finish it in the morning.

Dusty

Attached File  Image0071.jpg   62.02KB   13 downloadsAttached File  Image0072.jpg   67.57KB   20 downloadsAttached File  Image0073.jpg   69.91KB   14 downloads

#24 Dusty_Dave

Dusty_Dave

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

Dam I hate working in prehard but it saves time and scrap over building it then hardening it. Don't think that the nuts would hold torque if mild steel.

Making the main-shaft spacers.
Attached File  Image0074.jpg   76.4KB   19 downloads

#25 cliffno350

cliffno350

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

I get to go visiting this weekend, maybe I get some done sunday.

Just ride it....
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!