• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jeepurz

jeepurz

Lord of the Corn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,384 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

I bought this a few yrs ago from some ol gal, anyways. I looked it over, seems tight but the bolt pullback is very stiff. I stuck a piece of paper in the bolt and fire it, and FookifIcantell if the pins decent, in fact I really dont know how to tell, that said junior stuck a cb cap in it and on the 3rd pull it fired. SO how hard is it to fix a little gun like this? Is It a dy deal? I know its not worth much but its to cool not to get in working order. I dont plan on touching the patina.

Attached Files

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzlxjfAYAOI

#2 losttravlyr

losttravlyr

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

some redone song lyrics,

all you need is lube,lube is all you need,lube is all you need
give it all yer lubin,all your hugz n kisses too
gonna be some hot lube baby tonite
luuubin on a summer afternoon

btw,,lubrication is the key B)

losttravlyr,

if it aint ruff,it aint right

#3 jeepurz

jeepurz

Lord of the Corn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,384 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

I been lubin it with gun oil/sewing machine oil. but its still stiff as hell.

#4 losttravlyr

losttravlyr

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

i would try pb blaster as on the spring if possible as a last resort. after that if it was me,,i would take the barrel off to see if it the bolts piece assy will come off or dissamble. check the spring and maybe dress the pivots with emery cloth too. hell soak it in carb clean overnight or boil it like a dirty carb. if that dont do it,i would think it has to be the spring.

losttravlyr,

if it aint ruff,it aint right

#5 jeepurz

jeepurz

Lord of the Corn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,384 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

I got it, firing pin is broken and had been refiled down. I duno if a gunsmith can remake the part or if a guy could maybe hit it with a little weld and take a flat file to it. problem is how do ya figure out how long the pin lwas to begin with. I got no idea how junior got it to fire cause the pin is just has to barely hit it.

#6 gixxer1300r

gixxer1300r

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

I'd have someone who knows about guns look at it. Maybe there is something about the gun that is unsafe and someone filed the firing pin to keep it from being shot. Any decent gunsmith could tell you if the pin was fixable or make a new one. Not many things I wont work on but real old guns is one of them things I leave to the pros even a misfire with a .22 can kill someone. I take guns apart and service them thats about it for me.

Edited by gixxer1300r, 08 September 2012 - 11:51 PM.

"Good judgement comes from experience, experience which usually was the result of poor judgement."

#7 LeeRoy

LeeRoy

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:14 AM

What caliber? Manufacturer and model? I don't recognize the model, you can take the pertinant numbers to a gun shop and see about buying a new pin. If they are unobtanium, you might be able to get it fixed. It would be easier to tell if I could see it close, but I no longer have access to the gunshop so that wouldn't help anyway. The protrusion is usually about 1/16", if its too long it will puncture the cap.

#8 jeepurz

jeepurz

Lord of the Corn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,384 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

its an old quackenbush, as for safe to shoot its bolt mates to the barrel good and its solid.Barrel itself is huge, IF it were I shotgun I wouldnt even try to shoot but shorts or cb caps im not to worried.

#9 Maxx

Maxx

Forum Monkey

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,924 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

There's got to be a spec sheet for it somewhere here on the internets. What's the make and model?

No matter what, it needs more rake.

#10 jeepurz

jeepurz

Lord of the Corn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,384 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

never been able to find a build sheet. heres the id rifle, I cannot read most of mine as nickle is surface pitted.

Guns for Sale - H.M.QUACKENBUSH SAFETY RIFLE -- H.M. QUACKENBUSH SAFETY CARTRIDGE RIFLE (SCARCE)

Guns For Sale : C&R - Rifle - Item# 7369317
This Auction has Ended Posted Image Posted Image Winner: k***i Current Price: $469.99 Quantity:1 lot Auction Closed:February 13, 2007 06:53:57 PDT Auction Type:Basic Style NRA Grade:Very Good History: 1 Bid(s) ($469.99 starting bid) Seller: doctorA (view feedback)
(view this seller's auctions)
(ask this seller a question)

Payments Accepted: (NOT SPECIFIED) Shipping:(NOT SPECIFIED) Location (State): New York (NY) Posted Image (Print this Page)
Share: Share

Buyer Tip: If you're the High Bidder above, you're the High Bidder in this auction. All Auctions are conducted in Pacific Standard Time. Related Searches: Related Searches: (H.M.QUACKENBUSH SAFETY RIFLE Auction) (H.M.QUACKENBUSH SAFETY RIFLE for Sale) (H.M.QUACKENBUSH SAFETY RIFLE Accessories for Sale) (H.M.QUACKENBUSH SAFETY RIFLE Guns For Sale : C&R) (Guns For Sale : C&R) (Guns for Sale) (Used Guns for Sale) (Sell H.M.QUACKENBUSH SAFETY RIFLE) (Sell a C&R) Description

Seller's Description:
THIS AUCTION IS FOR A H.M.QUACKENBUSH SAFETY CARTRIDGE RIFLE IN 22 CALIBER. THIS RIFLE HAS THE HEAVY ROUND ~3/4 INCH BARREL THAT IS 18 INCHES LONG. RIFLED BARREL HAS RUST AND PITTING THAT SHOULD CLEAN UP. HAS SMALL BLADE FRONT SIGHT AND NOTCH STYLE REAR ADJUSTABLE REAR SIGHT. LARGE KNURLED TAKEDOWN NUT IS PRESENT ON BOTTOM OF FORWARD PART OF FRAME. WALNUT STOCK IS EQUIPPED WITH CRESCENT TARGET BUTT PLATE. BARREL,RECEIVER,FRAME AND BUTTPLATE ARE ALL NICKEL PLATED. NICKEL PLATING HAS SURFACE RUST(SEE PICTURES). STOCK HAS HAIRLINE CRACK ON LEFT BOTTOM SIDE WHERE STOCK MEETS TANG THAT IS EASILY REPAIRED. WALNUT STOCK IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION EXCEPT FOR HAIRLINE CRACK(MENTIONED ABOVE),SOME SCRATCHES JUST BEHIND STOCK SCREW ON RIGHT SIDE OF RECEIVER AND SCRATCHES IN FINISH ON WOOD THAT DON'T APPEAR TO BE INTO THE WOOD. LEFT SIDE OF RECEIVER STAMPED H.M.QUACKENBUSH.HERKIMER.N.Y. U.S.A. PAT. IN U.S.FEB.23.86.JUNE23.96.ENGLAND FEB.23.86 BELGIUM MAR.15.86. RIFLE APPEARS TO FUNCTION FINE. FINISH APPEARS TO BE ALL ORIGINAL. BOLT AT END OF BARREL IS BLUED. THIS IS A SCARCE AND RARE MODEL QUACKENBUSH TARGET RIFLE. THIS INFORMATION WAS ON THE NOTE ATTACHED TO THE RIFLE THAT WAS IN THE ESTATE OF AN "OLD TIMERS"GUNSHOP PERSONAL COLLECTION. BUYER TO PAY $30 S,H,I IN CONTINENTAL U.S.

Payment and Shipping Instructions:

Payment Methods:

Ships Using:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Questions from GunAuction.com Users... (Public) Q: I am interested in this rifle. Can you tell me if the rifle has any serial number on it, if there are any non original holes in the metal, and if it functions fully? As the auction is about to end, I would like to bid on this if you relist it. Please let me know at palabrahughes***GunAuction*** Regards, 01/23/2007 A: The rifle doesn't have a serial number or any non-original holes in the metal. It appears to function fully. 01/23/2007

Buyer Tip: Seller assumes all responsibility for listing this item. If you have any questions regarding this item, you should contact the Seller before bidding. You can contact the seller by clicking on the seller's nickname. The Seller is required to give the Buyer a minimum of three days to inspect any firearm sold through GunAuction.com. See the GunAuction.com Terms and Conditions for details. Bidding
THIS AUCTIO

#11 red jonson

red jonson

Parts chaser

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

Wall hanger....

#12 LeeRoy

LeeRoy

Two Wheel Terror

• Members Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

It is a mostly unknown manufacturer. H M lived till 1933, and they produced ammo till the 60s, but apparently closed down in 05. He only produced a few types of rifles, with variations of each. There is a book called Quackenbush Guns that can help you determine which variant you have and when it was made. Being so unusual, wall hanger may be the best option.